The anatomy of Maine’s super spreader COVID-19 wedding
How a California couple’s 55-person reception in a rural town with no coronavirus cases left seven people dead and 177 others infected.
- The California couple’s wedding in Millinocket, Maine in August led to a COVID-19 outbreak among guests that spread to a long-term care facility and jail
- Fifty-five people attended the wedding and reception held at the Big Moose Inn on August 7
- Health officials say at least 177 coronavirus cases have been linked to the wedding, including seven people who were hospitalized
- A total of seven deaths have been tied to the outbreak. Four of the seven who were hospitalized died
- None of the people who died attended the wedding
- Maine health authorities launched an investigation into the wedding and subsequent outbreaks. The findings were published in a CDC report on Friday