- Shawn Rider posted to Facebook on Tuesday pleading for information on another Pennsylvania hospital that had a free ICU bed and an EMCO machine
- His mother Karen had been on a ventilator due to COVID-19 since November 23 but her condition had deteriorated and she needed a transfer
- A nurse at York hospital spotted his post and found the family an ICU bed
- Karen was transferred the next day but is still in a serious condition
- She has now been on an ventilator for 13 days
- Shawn has continued to share her story as the family hopes people will ‘take more precautions so they don’t end up in the position we are in’
Shawn Rider posted a heartbreaking plea on Facebook on Tuesday looking for a hospital that had an open ICU bed and an ECMO machine so that his mom Karen could be transferred for treatment.
Karen has been on a ventilator since November 23 having been hospitalized and placed on oxygen a few days earlier when she began to have trouble breathing.
Shawn’s post was successful, and he was called by a doctor from nearby York hospital who was able to facilitate the transfer the next day.
His mom is still in a serious condition, but Rider has managed to speak to her via Zoom as the family continued to thank the quick work of the doctors and said they hoped their story would urge other families to take precautions. Karen Rider has been on a ventilator since November 23 Her son Shawn put out a social media call this week in a desperate search for a new ICU bed for her as her condition deteriorated. She is pictured above with one of her grandchildren before she fell ill.
Shawn Rider, pictured left, said he had to try and find a new ICU bed for his mom Karen.
He explained in his Tuesday that the hospital no longer had capabilities to treat her
‘Is there anyone in the York Hospital, Hershey Hospital, Penn State, Temple or Maryland Hospitals that has connections to the COVID ICU?’ Shawn wrote in his initial post Monday.
‘My mom is not doing well and is maxed out at Hanover Hospitals capabilities. We are looking for a hospital that has an ECMO machine and a bed so Hanover can transfer her to you.
‘I’m sorry to be blunt but FB is the fastest way to get news out. Hanover Hospital is making calls, but I can’t move forward without giving it my best shot.
‘Mom… please continue to fight. We love you so much and aren’t ready to lose you,’ he added.
Source – dailymail.co.uk